Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pracrastiness is next to Godliness

So...the pointy end of the university semester rears it's fanged and hungry head once more. With a week to go until three papers and a take home exam (that thinly-veiled academic torture device) are due, there is rarely a better time to waste some truly precious moments.

Thus, here I am my friends.

Today's task is to research the effects of English in foreign-language advertising so I can write a 2500 word paper on it tomorrow. But since the subject is decidedly even less exciting than it sounds, I figured I'd post what I'm listening to while I'm supposed to be working rather than actually working. Have you guys heard Blonde Redhead? No? Well, shit, until today neither had I. Since my good mate (and midfield maestro to Rooney's Uncle FC), Tristan, recommended it the other day I decided to give'em a whirl and I must say I am thoroughly impressed. Their latest is called "23". It's apparently called 23 because:

The 23rd hexagram of the I Ching is commonly known as "Splitting Apart", the point in a cycle where upheaval and disintegration enters in. The number 23, heralded by many an occultist and rag-tag philosopher is often considered a magical number associated with change, the point in a series where new energy comes in to transform the pre-existing condition and change the trajectory (Thank you Pitchfork Media).

Whatever. Anyway, it's rad. In the utmost. It's produced by the dude that produced Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I recommend a listen.

Also worth a mention is TV On The Radio. It has sustained me through a number of dreary assignments this term. Most good.

How can you not like something called "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes"?

1 comment:

alex_ygd said...

23 is also the name of a new Jim Carrey thriller.

So, decidedly, it loses most of it's cool-ness right there.